Monday, April 2, 2012

Books, books, books

One thing you should know about me is that I love to read. When I was a kid whenever my parents brought me to a bookstore, more often than not a book would catch my eye, I would grab it from the shelf and I would just sit on the floor and devoured it. I still do it now. It's a good thing that most of the big bookstores here have chairs/sofas/benches so customers can do what I used to do when I was a kid. Before I was married I would stay up till the wee hours of the morning just to finish a book.

Sadly, I don't have that same luxury now. The only time I have to read is during weekends. When I was under house arrest during my first IVF cycle, I finished 18 books in the span of three weeks. Even DH couldn't believe it haha. Anyway, i just finished reading Home Front by Kristin Hannah yesterday. You know when you read a book and after you've read the last line and close the book, the story will just linger in your head? This is what this book did to me. Home Front tells the story of Jolene, a helicopter pilot in the National Guard who has been called for active duty in Iraq. Right before her deployment her husband, Michael tells her that he doesn't love her anymore. Her leaving for Iraq has left him in charge of their two children. When she meets with an accident, Michael begins to see their marriage in a new perspective and must find a way to manage their marriage which is falling apart, their children and a way to win back her love.

Front Cover
I find that this book is very moving (I cried a lot while reading this). There's a lot of tragedy going on in this book. The Iraq war for one thing (which I still think is a pointless war). Another is the disintegration of a family unit and how the members of the family bounce back in the face of adversity. I won't tell you more coz I don't want to spoil your reading experience. I've been a fan of Kristin Hannah for quite a while and I must say that this book ranks almost on par with her other book, Firefly Lane which I thought was superb. Heck, a book which can make cry a lot and which I finish in one night must be good, yes? So if there's a book that you should read, this is it.

I'm gonna start on Jodi Picoult's latest work, Lone Wolf soon. Hopefully this doesn't disappoint.


So what book have you been reading lately? Any good recommendations?

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselor, and the most patient of teachers ~ Charles W. Eliot"


Much love,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment