Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Aaaaand We're Done!

With the hormone shots for now, at least. Last night I had my last Pergoveris shot and now we'll just have to wait till Thursday to see if my body is responding to the new drug. I was pretty nervous about injecting myself with Pergoveris. My previous RE prescribed Puregon which came in an injection pen, which was pretty easy enough to use. Pergoveris on the hand, I had to mix the powder and the solvent which came in two vials myself, and it came with a real syringe. We struggled at first, and I was slightly worried when I saw some air bubbles in the syringe which I didn't manage to get rid of. I had this crazy notion that if those air bubbles got inside my body, I would die. Obviously since I'm writing this post, nothing happened LOL.


Anyway, I have to say that I now handle syringes and needles better than some nurses. Let me explain. The first day I had to inject myself, DH and I went all the way to Selayang to get the vials from a lady who works with LPPKN (it's sort of a family planning ministry) and she showed me how to mix the powder and solvent, how to change the syringes etc. So I listened as she showed me and when she finished mixing them up, I notice that was a space in the syringe, sort of like an air pocket, which I pointed out to her. She told me that she didn't want to push the syringe to get rid of the air pocket as she feared that she would accidentally squirt the medicine out. Valid reason I guess, but come one. She's done this so many times. I'm sure she could do it if she wanted to. Instead she told me to pinch my tummy and shoved the needle in and pressed the plunger (is that what you call it?) And it hurt like hell! I couldn't tell for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was because of that air pocket that she refused to get rid of. And she struggled for about half an hour to get all the medicine in the syringe. Heh.

Day 2 of the injection which I did myself and I pressed the plunger all the way until there was no more air pocket. It took me about 10 minutes to get everything ready and when I finally did it, it didn't hurt. Tadaaaaaa!! *feeling pretty smug right now :P* DH, as usual looked away. What is it about men and needles? I am convinced now more than ever that women have a higher pain threshold than men. Wouldn't you agree?

So, we're done with needles for the time being. Hopefully the scan on Thursday will show plenty of beautiful follicles. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment