Monday, September 3, 2012

'Tis The Season To Be Jolly...

...for the most part, at least. I realize that I haven't been blogging for two weeks now. There's a reason for that. We celebrated Eid two weeks ago which was fantastic. Here in Malaysia we take Eid seriously and we usually take a whole week off to celebrate. My celebration started when my little sister came home from Sabah for a short five day holiday to celebrate Eid with us, which was awesome coz we rarely get to see her. Then my family returned to my parents' hometown in Batu Gajah to celebrate the first day of Eid with their relatives. It's always wonderful to celebrate Eid with my side of the family because I get to see my aunts, uncles and cousins whom we probably see once or twice a year and us cousins, we're pretty close.

I bought some firecrackers and fireworks and brought them back to Batu Gajah and we had a blast lighting those bad a**es up. It's a wonder that the police didn't come for us coz there were some pretty big bangs going on. Surprisingly I didn't eat much during Eid this year. I lost a bit of weight over the fasting month and I'd really like to stick to my current weight. Can't say the same about DH though. He ate at every relative's house we visited.

On the third day of Eid we went back to DH's hometown. DH's side of the family don't normally do much during Eid so we spent most of the time at home. It was a good thing I brought some books to read (finished all four of them in the course of three days). By the fifth day of Eid we were back at home since DH wanted to go in to the office the next day.

Me & DH


Me & lil sister :)

And then last week I started going back to the office after nine days of merriment. Obviously being a company made up of 80% Malay Muslims, people were not yet in the mood for work, which was fine by me. The less my phone rang, the more work I could get done. And then on Friday we celebrated Merdeka (Independence Day) which was another public holiday for us. People say that Malaysia has got the most public holidays in a calendar year, and I think they're right. Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway, on Friday one of my buttcheeks got married. That day was a special day not only for her, but for me too. This friend has been through a lot in the past couple of years. She went through a nasty divorce. Her crazy ex-husband continued to make her life a living hell even after the divorce.

So, sometime last year, around the time I had my first miscarriage, she met a lovely guy. He came with her to the hospital to visit me but at that time I didn't get to see him simply because he thought that that was a private time between me and my friend and he didn't want to intrude. (The first sign that he's lovely.) I remember her telling me about him when I asked her who she came with and her face lit up, although she quickly realized that then was not the right time to talk about her love life, with my miscarriage and all. I didn't mind to be honest. At least I got to hear some good news about something.

The second sign that I knew that he's a decent guy is when DH told me that he is. Now I bet you must be thinking "how the heck did DH know?" Well, DH is a pretty good judge of character. So when DH told me that my best friend's boyfriend (now husband) was a good guy, I believed him. Plus, he is really good with my friend's kids. It's lovely to see them them together, him, my best friends and her kids. Her kids now call him "Ayah" (Father). Everytime us buttcheeks and our husbands go out for dinner, he would always join us and we talk and laugh together. It's as if we've known him for years.

Anyway, back to the wedding. The ceremony was held at a mosque in KL. Seeing my friend in her wedding dress made me tear up a bit. She looked happy and gorgeous beyond words. I had been very good at holding back my tears until the kadi announced that the "nikah"(solemnization) was "sah" (valid). I could feel my eyes welling up already and avoided looking at my friend for fear that I might cry. So far so good. And then when the ceremony was over, I went over to her to give her a hug, I started crying. I congratulated her and told her that I love her and the tears just wouldn't stop. To say that I was happy for her and her new husband was an understatement. After all that she's been through, she deserves all the happiness in the world. Oh and another sign that her husband was perfect was when he made a speech at the reception, thanking her two kids who are 7 and 5, for sharing their mom's love with him. Isn't that the loveliest thing ever? :D

So here's to you my friend. I love you with all my heart and wish you all the happiness in the world. Ameen.


Me & lovely buttcheeks. I would love to post a picture of my best friend in her wedding dress but I'm not going to to protect her privacy. Sorry.



In other news, another one of my buttcheeks told us girls that she's two months pregnant! Yay! Alhamdulillah. She's been struggling with secondary infertility and after seeing my RE and taking a couple of cycles of clomid, she's now got a bun in her oven! I am over the moon for her because I know that it's a struggle for her to conceive too. So here's to you too. I love you and wish you a smooth pregnancy and a safe delivery. Ameen.

Ok now for the not so jolly bit. You know how new moms sometimes think that everything revolves around their babies? It's starting to annoy the crap out of me. It's like every conversation I have with these new moms must have, I repeat must have a mention of their babies.

Me: wanna go out for lunch tomorrow?
New mom: Oh I can't. Baby needs his nap time.

Me: Have you made your baju kurung for Eid?
New mom: Oh yes. But I can't make one with beads because baby might pull them and put them in his mouth.

Me (while talking about food): Duck rice is actually quite good.
New mom: Oh last night baby played with his rubber ducky during bath time.

And it doesn't just stop there. Every freaking tweet and every Facebook status is about their babies. For the love of God, I'm so happy that you're a mom now but everytime this happens, it feels like I'm getting my teeth pulled. Please new mom, please stop before I stab myself in the eyes.

Don't get me wrong. I know that it's their right to post whatever they want on Facebook and tweet whatever they want. But it just amplifies my sadness me because I can't do all that. To be honest, I don't think it would bother me that much if I weren't infertile and have had two freaking miscarriages. But I am infertile and I have had two miscarriages. So sue me for being bitter. There. I got it out. Phew. I feel better now. I can now go to bed. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment