Monday, September 10, 2012

Basic Manners

So MIL came to KL two weekends ago just so we could drive her around the city to visit her relatives (sure. Why not?) After we did our rounds we went back to our place to wait for BIL and wife to pick her up. It was a bit late in the day for me to make dinner so we ordered pizza. BIL and wife, who brought her sister along arrived just in time for dinner. And then the most bizarre and awkward thing happened. SIL and her sister started talking in Chinese at the dinner table. DH and I looked at each other and then DH asked her, "wow you can speak Chinese?" To which SIL replied, "yes I learned it in school." Now here in Malaysia not every Malay is fortunate enough to learn Chinese, or any other language, as a third language. We usually converse in Malay or English language, and this girl started talking to her sister in a language no one else at the table could understand.

I don't know about you guys but I find that to be incredibly rude. Now how would she feel if I start talking to DH in English at her home at her dinner table when I know full well that she's not that fluent in speaking and understanding English? I had to literally restrain myself from rolling my eyes. I didn't want to say anything coz DH and MIL were there and I didn't want to make things even more awkward. But in retrospect, I probably should have. Come on! It's basic manners! When did it become okay for a guest to come to your house and start to converse to another guest in a foreign language at your dinner table? I must have not gotten that memo.

Anyway, I had to let it out of my chest and when DH and I were in the car on the way back home from work last Monday, I brought it up. And thank God DH thought that it was rude too! He said that it's probably because SIL is still very young (she's 20 or 21. I don't know and I don't care) and is still a bit immature. For goodness sake, she's married and has a son. It's time to grow the blardy hell up. And age does not excuse a person from behaving badly, don't you think? And what message is she sending her son when she acts like that?

So true, Mr. Astaire

So, anywaaaaay, apart from that unfortunate incident I had a lovely time that weekend. DH and I went to my best friend's house in Langat for dinner. Mom thought that it would be a good idea to bring BIL who came back from UK for an interview along, and he was happy enough to tag along. I'm so glad that he enjoyed himself. Being a German and not used to the Malay culture yet, I could tell that he was a bit bewildered by the experience. My best friend's family is the super friendly type and whenever we go to her house, there's no shortage of loud conversations and booming laughter. So yeah, can't blame the guy for looking like a deer caught in the headlights LOL. Sorry BIL. You'll get used to it. Give it time :P

Friends. Sisters


No comments:

Post a Comment